D.C. is a huge city for taxis, yet we seem to lag behind most other cities. Good news: changes are coming.
The Cloture Club has summarized a lot of these changes, and the D.C. Taxicab Commission has issued a number of press releases.
Some of the changes:
- All taxis will accept credit cards by August 31, 2013.
- The base fare will increase from $3.00 to $3.25 on June 1, 2013
- An additional 25 cent surcharge will be charged per ride to support to the Taxicab Commission
- Taxis will once again charge $1 per extra passenger
- Baggage fees have been eliminated
So you can use credit cards . . . but you'll probably be paying more overall.