Thursday, March 10, 2011

Asbestos found at Union Station metro stop

The Washington Examiner has discovered that as crews began maintenance work at Union Station, they found asbestos.  The past week crews have been working during off-hours to remove the substance, which causes cancer. 

The asbestos was found in the jointwork of ducts in mechanical rooms, under platforms and above suspended ceilings.  These are areas that are not readily accessible to the public--though platforms and suspended ceilings are little close for comfort.

Metro says they do not expect to see the substance at other stations, but they will check for it as they do HVAC work.

No comments:

Post a Comment